The Nashville Predators continued their sub-par play on Thursday night against Vancouver, losing 5-1. The Canucks scored four of the five goals in the first period, and dominated the Preds for the entire game.
Anders Lindback saw his first action of the season after the first period. Pekka Rinne was pulled, and it probably had more to do with the team's play in front of him than it did his play.
Matt Halischuk got the lone goal for Nashville in the first period on a bit of an odd play. He passed on off of the back board, and scored when the puck bounced back on to his stick.
There's really not much else to say about this game. Nashville controlled the play for the first minute. After that, it was all Vancouver.
Five Observations from the first six games:
1. Brian McGrattan is not playing his role. He was brought in to be a physical force for the Preds. Colin Wilson and Jordin Tootoo both fought for Nashville against the Canucks. McGrattan was nowhere to be found. If that continues, he doesn't have value for the Preds.
2. Shea Weber and Ryan Suter have not played well so far this season. Weber has 12 penalty minutes in six games, and has taken penalties that never should be taken. Suter was beaten on the rush several times in the last couple of games. That shouldn't happen. There has been a severe lack of discipline on this team so far. Weber and Suter are the leaders of this team. Time to act like it.
3. Goaltending has not been the problem. Rinne and Lindback have played well for the Preds, but the defense has left them out to dry. Without the good goaltending, Nashville would have lost the last two games by 10 goals each.
4. The Preds cannot create good shots, and won't take the shot when they have the opportunity to do so. There's really no explanation for it. If you're not open, get open. When have a good shot, take it.
5. It's early. While the play of the Predators has truly been disastrous the past four games, they still have plenty of time to turn it around. However, there is definitely a huge cause for concern over the way the Predators have been playing.
Hockey Night in Nashville's 3 Stars of the game:
1. Henrik Sedin(VAN)
2. Daniel Sedin(VAN)
3. Ryan Kesler(VAN)