Friday, March 18, 2011

Weber Ends the Curse; Preds Defeat Bruins

The Nashville Predators defeated the Boston Bruins on Thursday night by a 4-3 score IN OVERTIME. The Preds were finally able to break the curse and when a game in the actual overtime period when Shea Weber absolutely destroyed the puck right past Tuukka Rask to give the Preds the much needed two points.

Tyler Seguin got the scoring started in the 1st period when he wristed one past Pekka Rinne. Sergei Kostistyn would tie the game up at one when he put home a rebound in a cluster around the net.

In the 2nd period, Colin Wilson put the Predators ahead when he launched a simple wrist shot from the face-off dot that deflected off of a Boston stick. The Bruins would tie it up again when David Krejci put home the rebound.

Boston would jump out to an early lead in the 3rd period when Patrice Bergeron scored just 1:42 into the period. David Legwand would tie the game again when he put home the rebounds of Martin Erat and Sergei Kostitsyn. Erat came out of the box and was on a breakaway when Rask made the initial save, followed it up with a save on Kostistyn, but was unable to deny Legwand.

In the overtime period, Mike Fisher drew a holding penalty when he was tackled by Steven Kampfer. Shea Weber would get the puck at the point and score to give Nashville the win.

Thoughts from the game:

Tim Thomas didn't play for Boston, so the Vezina Trophy showdown didn't take place.

Patric Hornqvist hit Tyler Seguin in the 1st period and was given a game misconduct and a 5 minute major penalty. The hit was clean. However, the GM's meetings were held this week and head shots were the emphasis. I haven't seen the reverse angle on the hit, but I'd expect Hornqvist to be suspended.

The Predators are still one point out of the Western Conference playoff race, but got an important win against Boston. It was a hell of a hockey game. The Preds will take on the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment